Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Homemade Snack Bars

It's been an absolute struggle trying to get back to eating gluten-free.  I do the worst in the afternoons when I need a quick snack.  Edible Perspective has a pretty good recipe for "Larabar" type snack bars that I fancied up to my liking.

They're really yummy.  Admittedly, a lot of work for just 12 bars, but they're a wonderful treat to cure my afternoon cravings.
  

What's on the inside?

14 dates (pitted)
1 cup of sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup almonds (coarsely chopped)
3 dried apricots (chopped)
1 Tbs. flaxseed meal
1-2 Tbs raisins

Put sunflowers and pumpkin seeds through a food processor.  I have a tiny chopper so I had to do it in small batches.  Set that aside and then put dates through the processor.  I mixed all the ingredients together in a bowl using my hands.  It's thick like bread dough.  Then put the mix between two pieces of plastic wrap and roll it flat.  Cut into rectangles.  I preserved mine in the refrigerator.