Friday, July 6, 2012

Guacamole

I've weaned myself from using a cookbook when I make guacamole!
I don't think mine could rival that of an authentic Mexican-made bowl of guacamole, but I think it's ready to be shared.


Here it goes (warning- I like a lot of lime and cilantro)~

5-6 avocados
 1-2 tomatoes
1 bunch of cilantro
juice from 1 lime
1/4 tsp minced jalapeno
1/4-1/2 tsp cumin
dash salt
1/4 cup red onion
1-2 garlic cloves

Mash all the ingredients together with 2 forks.  I stir in the tomato and lime juice at the end.
It's easy to cut the recipe in half and if you want to add more volume to the guacamole, you can put some plain yogurt in there in place of a couple avocados.


Here's the secret to keeping guacamole from turning brown~ 

Drop an avocado seed in the dip to keep it green and fresh.  Then put plastic over the top making sure that it touches as much of the surface of the guacamole as possible.  It will stay green for at least a day.