Thursday, January 19, 2012

String Wall Art for Valentines Day



I try to dabble in a variety of crafts just to keep things interesting, but every once in a while I find something that I'm obsessed with and can't get enough of.  This time it's string art.  If you've been following me on pinterest, then you saw me pin this amazing piece of art a little while ago...

This comes from the Curiously Wrought Etsy Shop.  I love this idea and there's so much you can do with strings and nails.  It looks pretty straight forward and easy too.  I thought, how hard could it be?  But I'm here to tell ya- there's definitely a learning curve, especially for someone like me who doesn't know how to hammer a nail in straight.
We replaced a rotted gate a few months ago that I've been wanting to turn into wall art. My husband was so confused (and still is) when I told him what I was planning to do.  One day he'll see the appeal of turning rotted wood into something beautiful.

With a lot of my husband's help (actually he did all of this part), I cut out three panels of the gate and glued/nailed them to a piece of plywood.  Then, I was on my own.


I typed the word "love" in Segoe Script font and used my Silhouette to cut it out.  Then I taped it to the wood.


I did the best I could to hammer the nails along the edge of the letters.  I tried to make the spacing between them consistent, but it wasn't perfect.


You bet I was proud of myself for nailing a hundred nails.  It was hard work- I sacrificed a nap time for that.

Twisting the string around the nails by hand proved to be a difficult task.  My husband was determined to find a better way, and I'll be honest I was betting against him.

But after fiddling in the next room for an hour, he came out with this nifty little tool that works wonders...


A pencil!

That's it.

He took out the mechanism inside and chipped a hole at the bottom of the orange tube so that I could slide the string through it.   (I'm a little embarrassed about my gross finger nails- I was laying grout for another project earlier that day.) This made things go smoothly.  Seriously, this is the way to go.  If I hadn't had this, I would have used way less string.

I love my husband!  He's amazing.


I wound the string through the nails randomly without overlapping until it looked evenly covered.  It took me half of the Bourne Identity movie to finish.


And I LOVE how it turned out!

Now I want to put nails and string all over my house.



 I'm sharing this "love"ly project with a few other blogs and Today's Creative Blog

Pin It