Friday, November 11, 2011

Que Rica: Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream!

Thanksgiving is in the air.  I can already smell the yams and turkey baking...  Things are finally cooling down here in Arizona, and by cool, I mean I wear a sweatshirt in the mornings and evenings.  We still have a ways to go.  

I made this pumpkin pie ice cream last week, and I was surprised how close it came to the real deal.  The only difference between this and actual pumpkin pie is that it's cold.  You pumpkin pie lover out there are going to love this!


I used the Blueberry Ice Cream recipe I shared with you a few months ago as a starting point.  All the recipes I found on-line called for eggs and while that probably tastes better, it kind of grosses me out.

So here's the recipe I came up with:

1 cup whole milk
3/4 white sugar
1/4 brown sugar
2 1/2 cups whipping cream
1/2 15 oz. can of pumpkin puree
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 nutmeg
1/2 ginger
1/8 cloves

Combine the milk and sugars in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves into the milk.  Put in the refrigerator.  After the milk/sugar mixture has cooled completely, mix in the pumpkin, spices and whipping cream.  Then pour it into the ice cream maker and follow the machine's instructions.

I think this would taste great with crushed graham cracker or ginger snaps swirled in at the last minute.  Next time...


12 comments:

  1. that looks so good!! sorry it has taken me forever to thank you for the Versatile Blogger award!! Thanks so much for thinking of me & following me!!! Life has been pretty crazy lately and again I apologize for just now thanking you!!!! And I don't know how I wasn't already following your blog- but I am now!!! Your calendar and "just like mommy" purse & accessories is SO CUTE!!!!! hope you have a great weekend!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds fabulous!! Eggs would gross me out too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmm...my mouth is watering. I just bought 2 cans of pumpkin yesterday but wasn't sure what to make with it. Perfect timing with this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so smooth and really good! I LOVE anything pumpkin! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds delish. I am making this ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, looks so yummy! I don't know what happened to my ice cream maker. I had one of the that has a metal insert which is kept in the freezer. I may have to go thrifting to see if I can find another one of those. Nummy recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds so delicious! I love your idea of adding ginger snaps...thanks for sharing (and visiting me)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Going grocery shopping tomorrow...adding a few ingredients to the list!!! This looks so GOOD!!! Thanks for your sweet note on my blog! I'm your newest follower and I'd love to have you followe me, too on your next visit!!!

    Aimee ItsOverflowing.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM. I love pumpkin ice cream...one of my favorite things about fall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a pumpkin LOVER! Hi! Came over from Made By You Monday! This looks great! Would love for you to come over and link up to my Tasty Tuesday party going on now! http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, I was thinking about trying to create this... Thank you for posting the recipe! Can't wait to make it!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks amazing!! My mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete